Welcome...

Sit back enjoy...give your opinions...have a laugh...but be nice..or your outta here...:)



Thursday, October 13, 2011

Indie Book Collective contest and review of Craved

Hola All!! It is the morning....and I am on computer before work...aaaakkk...if I had run this morning I would fear the world was ending...but getting on computer before work is a shock as it is....

Honestly, I did this last night . However, watching Modern Family last night I accidentally hit,"delete" while laughing at Cam chasing a car...running down sidewalk...screaming...hahahhahahaha!! After the delete incident...I wasn't laughing anymore...


Indie Book Collective Event...Free ebooks...Kindle....gift baskets!!

I had you at gift baskets....we all know (especially women) that you would run your mother's over for a ,"free gift with purchase"...Head to the site address and check out contest rules. There are 12 ebooks..wahooo!!! I have read one already (Ann Charles - Dance of the Winnebagos!) and will be reviewing next week .Sign up for the newsletter and get reading. Hurry- this starts on Oct 17th...




 Craved (#1 in the Gwen Sparks Series)Now for the book review. The book is ,"Craved" by Stephanie Nelson. It is about a witch, werewolf and vampire...Oh my!!! ....now...wait..where did you go??? Another paranormal smoochy book? ..DON'T YOU ROLL YOUR EYES AT ME???!!!

Now- readers, I am Anti- Twilight. I am. I can't even stand the trailers for the movies..the big hair...glitter..horrid make up jobs..I know. Everyone has gone vampire..and it is wearing thin...it has lost it's shine...or glitter if you will.

Anyhow- this is the first in a series. Gwen is a witch, who owns her own store. Can I just praise the face she is 20 something and does not live with her folks?? There is a group of vamps who are draining witches for their blood. The blood gives them magical powers and basically make them as high as a kite..Think meth addicts..but attractive....I know, that is a tough one.

Micah, is the werewolf , who is the detective on this case. He is also a old flame of our Gwen who dumped her for her lack of future ummmmmm....breeding possibilities?? Aiden is the vampire who adores her..are you still there??

Here is where the author came through for me. If I can point our two characteristics regarding paranormal books that make me scream, "Is the sun out yet???!!!" it these two...

1)  The way Vamps talk. They apparently are hundreds if not thousands of years old. Stop talking like it is 1750....(True Blood I am talking to you- "Sookie...can I call on you???!")...Gaaah...it is distracting and it doesn't make sense. These folks observe all , they are trying to fit in. Stop...stop  already.


2)  The cloths...L. Hamilton..I am really talking to you!! No puffy shirts, thigh high boots, ribbons in your hair or sword holders. I have never recovered from Anita Blake walking in the restaurant to be all hot and bothered by her Vamp decked out in a puffy shirt with ,"mother of pearl cuffs" and thigh high pirate boots...PEOPLE ARE EATING....how is this a turn on? Seriously, distracting...

Stephanie Nelson does not commit these sins in this book. The mystery of ,"who done it" was well done.
For you romance folks..the smut was enough and for you prudes the smut was bearable. Honestly, how authors write the mushy scenes I have no clue...I would snort through the whole process. Some are so bad you can't figure out how anyone can bend like that ..maybe a Cirque du Soieil employee?? Who knows.

So if you are looking for a fun read check out Craved. It's Twilight for the grown ups.

1 comment: