Welcome...

Sit back enjoy...give your opinions...have a laugh...but be nice..or your outta here...:)



Tuesday, July 16, 2013

'Pushed To Far' by Ann Von Peterson (intro by Blake Crouch)

Hello All-
 
Here I am on my day off. I just recently acquired a day off after working 5 days a week for past eons..
I've been so excited, and now, I have no clue what to do. Cleaning? Pleaaase...beneath me.
Besides, it gives FireDaddy something to do when he gets home from the station tomorrow when I head off to the Place Where I Spend My Days (that pays me).
 
Summer soccer tourn's have begun...Yippee.

 Last weekend I took Middle child (she is 14) to tourn. For the love of God and all that is Holy..who the hell decided on a 8am Saturday game? To make matters worse, the COACH (Satan) wanted us there at 7:15am for warm ups. That's right my Worshippers, I had to leave the house at 6:30 ...AM!!!  What hell is this I ask you???
 
FireDaddy got up when I got up. I am a somewhat kind person. I can fake it with the best of them if needed. However, there is one time of the day I can't be polite or worry about your feelings.  This is known as ...wake of dawn. Sadly, FireDaddy is a yapping fool in the morning. He is up, bouncy and smiling ear to ear...let me give you an example of our early morning conversation.
 
FIREDADDY: Oh it's going to be warm out!
 
ME: Shut up.
 
FIREDADDY: Gwyn has all her uniform stuff ready right??
 
ME: Seriously, shut up.
 
FIREDADDY: Beeee nice.....
 
ME: JEZUZ!! Go to work, YOU HAVE TO STOP TALKING!!!!
 
FIREDADDY: Beeeee nicccceee to meeeee...hay, did you pack water ???
 
ME: &^% OFF!! I WILL CUT YOU!! I WILL!
 
FIREDADDY: (sigh..) I'm abused. I'm going to tell all your friends you abuse me.
 
ME: (door slamming, muttering swear words that would make a Hit Man wince).
 
FIREDADDY: I HEARD THAT!! Watch your mouth!
 
That point I pretend he doesn't exist and get ready...and on with the day.
 
I pull into parking lot. I can pay for parking and have an 11 year old Know it All  drive me around in golf cart, as the Microsoft parents do. Or I can park in the slums with the North End folk...to the slums I go. Beautiful day, first game went well...the second is at 2pm. Great, stuck here for hours, must find something to do. Middle Child takes off with friends so I am alone. FREE!!!! Until I see my car, and the fellow North End slummers circling the lot like a buzzard circling a dying wildebeest. I can' leave!! Damnit! I will lose my spot! What could I do? Well, I could read..and read I did...
 
                              Myself and the youngest..bored to tears..day 2 soccer tourn.
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
 
 

A TOWN'S TERRIBLE SECRET

Two years ago a woman was brutally murdered, her body burned until only ash and shattered bone remained. Police Sergeant Valerie Ryker solved that case, putting psychopath Dixon Hess in prison for life, and becoming the first female police chief of her tiny Wisconsin town.

A COP'S UNFORGIVABLE MISTAKE

Then the original murder victim turns up in a frozen lake, all in one piece and only recently dead, and Val must enter a race against time. In only forty-eight hours, Hess will be set free, and he wants payback. And Val, her town, and everyone she loves are at the top of his list.

A KILLER'S NEXT VICTIM

But surviving Hess's vengeance is only part of her dilemma. For there's another killer in Lake Loyal. One who may be closer to Val than she knows...

Val will need all the help she can get, including a sexy firefighter, her dead sister's daughter, and a tough Chicago cop named Jack Daniels. Everyone has a breaking point, and Val has just reached hers.
-(from Amazon.com)
 
I became somewhat familiar with Ann Von Patterson through her collaborations with J.A. Konrath..aka Jack Daniels series. Upon looking at the cover, which I think is well done, I pre- judged this book as an Swash Buckling Cops Gone Wild story. Thank God I was wrong.
 
 
I loved the main character. She is  the first female chief of police in a small town of Wisconsin. No one seems to hate her, but she tends to lack the full respect she deserves. She isn't Lara Croft. She is raising her dead sister's teenage daughter, and has her hands full like the rest of us. 
 
A woman has turned up dead, who was supposed to be dead two years prior. Which means the killer our Heroine put away is out of prison, and he wants justice.
 
Give me Zombies, vampires (non -glittered) , ghosts what ever...serial killers? I CAN'T TAKE IT!!! I still haven't completely finished Blake Couch's Luther Kite's series..I can only do it in small sections.
 
This horrid man wants all to pay, and he has a list..I shall say no more...
 
There is a love interest who is connected to the recent victim. He's a firefighter. Yes, a firefighter. Swoon, sigh and aflutter...seriously. I really hope the author understands IF FireDaddy actually reads my blog the torment of  ,"Why firefighters are HAWT, you have it SO good" lecture I will have to endure...well, may cause SOMEONE some serious bodily harm. Frankly, how about a HAWT accountant instead? All those muscles crunching away on the calculator...no? I tried.
 
This isn't a romance folks. Not a Lifetime Movie either. It is a police- procedural.  There is a little mush for you sickos out there. For you prudes, put away your rosaries, you'll survive.
 
There is violence. The scenes are graphic but not drawn out, so I am able to sleep....
 
Oh..and my beloved Jack Daniels makes an appearance...WAHOOOOO!!!
 
Go get the book....put your sunscreen on , ignore the nonsense around you. I manage to , just ask the parental units at soccer tournaments.
 
Ready for the second in series...if you see me on the field...keep walking. Until later!

No comments:

Post a Comment